Translate

Monday, November 30, 2015

Rain, Rabbits and Responsibility

After a morning out in the rain, cleaning and rinsing out my cat carriers for rabbit transport, it is nice to be in warm, dry socks while I wait for the laundry to dry. A rainy Monday means a lot of chores are going to get done today in the clanhold. Trash has been taken out, laundry is in the works, dishes are washing and the garden has been checked. The rosemary is up to my knee cap and is a bright, healthy green. I will have pictures up on the blog soon.

I have been doing some soul searching concerning the Heart of Home: Finding my Homestead and what this blog must be. It has become clear to me that a blog I had been following is not all that it appears.  I have seen a lot of discrepancies and more fabrications that I am comfortable with. I love fiction but if you are blogging and writing about what is suppose to be the life you are living, actually do the work and  live it. Farming is hard work and not a women-child's play thing.

Henceforth, I have stopped following the blog and heavily considering what I should do with the four books I own written by said blogger. They have no business in my homesteading library, as they are mostly fiction. Elaborate to the point of being cloyingly sweet fiction.

It is my responsibility, to both the clan and my audience that the telling of finding my homestead is true. It might be easy to paint either a story disproportionately sweet or sad to tug at the heart strings of one's fans but that is not the way of my story. My story is of truth.

I am hoping to replace those four books with ones written by Joel Salatin. That man is a model of integrity and his practices are the true future of sustainable agriculture. It is my hope that next spring or summer I might make a visit up to Polyface farms, to see in the flesh the good work Mr. Salatin is doing for the world.

You can find out more about Joel Salatin by visiting his website, Polyface Farms.

2 comments:

  1. I recognize your "about me" photo from comments you've left on the CAF blog. I have to say I cringed at what I perceived as your faith in said blogger and hoped you would not take her example and quit a job to farm full time (without a secure game plan).

    I'm enjoying poking around your blog and plan to follow along. Make your OWN way! Genuine, honest, and real is interesting...look forward in seeing all you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I had been looking at your blog when someone emailed me about the concerns they had with CAF. I decided to do some research and found, to my ultimate sadness, that what they had told me was correct. There is no excuse for taking a person's hard earned money and not giving them what they paid for.

    That is stealing, plain and simple.

    Honor is important to me, to all my Clan. I found it needful to disengage from someone I was beginning to suspect did not place a high value on personal honor. Thank you. You have been very kind and I plan to continue sharing my story about finding my homestead, hopefully to everyone's enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete