Translate

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Good work

A clean kitchen =  A happy heart
Normally, Sunday would be my time of resting. Saturday errands and light work would be done and this day would be set aside to do the little things that make my smile. Life, however, often has something to say about my plans. Saturday's kitchen cleaning was completed this morning but the end result is a very proud me sitting upstairs and relaxing, calloused palms rubbed smoothed by white vinegar and steel wool. A little lemon oil lotion smooths that abraded feeling you get when you've been scrubbing stove covers.

Yesterday, Rhi and I ventured out to our favorite thrift store. This N' That vendors market in Maryville, in the old location of Southland Books, is a haven for previously owned treasures and the avid antique hunter.  After hearing Jenna Woginrich go on about the virtues of Fire King glassware in her memoir, Made From Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life, I set out to find my own. I never found any Fire King glass but I did find F.T.D glassware. Particularly, a avocado green glass goblet with an oak leaf relief. I bought this glass for $2.00 and later, looked it up on Ebay.com to compare its worth. Turns out my cup goes from $8.00 to as much as $22.00. :D

Needless to say, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.

Another purchase I am pleased about is a heart shaped cake pan I paid $3.00 for.

It might not look like much but I used to have a heart shaped cake pan when I was a preteen. I made countless chocolate cakes in that humble pan, covered them in whip cream and berries for a simple but delicious summertime dessert. Next week I will feature a Heart of Home recipe using this heart shaped pan. I'm thinking of something simple and lovely, in honor of Mother's Day.

Speaking of simple and lovely, below is a picture of the  surprise my husband left for me in our room.

A pink rose in a screw top jar, its humble...its lovely...its country...

It's one perfect way to say "I love you."


Scotch tape....its one simple way to fix holes in your screens. LOL.

May is my favorite month of the year. It is true spring, warm sun and gentle, cool wind. Plants are growing, babies of all kinds are being born and my birthday is just around the corner. The honeysuckle is starting to bloom around the parking lot at work and my Iris is in it's full purple glory. More about my Iris is to come later in the week.

Happy Sunday to everyone and I hope Beltaine was good to all of you who celebrate it. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment