Translate

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Coming Summer

Almond Maple Bundt Cake
The summer comes on sweetly, waxing between sun glazed humidity and driving rain. My seasonal position with Plant Partners is over, ending a day shy of Memorial Day. I have been very busy between vending and looking at houses. The Clan has been out to see two properties now, one a 1899 Civil War Plantation home on 12.8 acres in North Knoxville, TN and another split level, slab wood cabin in Tellico Plains, TN. This week we will be going to see another property in Seymour, TN, a place we are calling Round O' the Hill. It is a dance of spoons, house hunting.

While I hunt for houses, I also hunt for a job. I had initially put in an application and attending a job fair for Clayton Homes. I was called for a first interview and then a second. I got a take a profile assessment on the day of my shadow job trial.

These are competitive things, white collar office worlds. I was not offered the position in question and so I come back to square one. I was troubled for a time; anxiety coated me. Reassurances from my love and the council a good friend gave me have put me back on track. I have put in two applications so far, made three inquiries and have complied a list of eight places I wish to work.

Until I have a position outside the home, my mind turns back to management of the home. I have had time to bake; a blueberry lemon load cake and an almond maple cake (shown: upper left). Tonight, I will glaze a portion of ham and if I have any yeast left, I will shape hearth bread loaves today. If no yeast is to be had, I will take down the meal and make cornbread. Also a pot of black eyed peas and I will brew another gallon of tea.

Oh, it is good to be home thought. Even if only for little while.

I have scrubbed the kitchen to gleaming, stove as well. Yesterday, I took a damp rag to Angela's china cabinet, wiping it free of dust. I wiped down Colin's work table and the dinning room table, swept clear the floor and even fashioned a bookcase/table out of a box. Nothing extraordinary, just a typical day in the Clanhold.  The tomatoes are coming in and the mint is rambling. Later today, I will go out to do my pruning and offer a little water to the plants if I see they need it. It has rained the last few days but not last night.

I know it has been a long time since I have written. I am sorry for that. Work, need for money, want for farm and all in between have kept me hopping.

Peace be with you, Readers. Lughnasadh comes anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment