Translate

Saturday, July 4, 2015

A short bed time story

Camouflage Yarn ( 100% Acrylic) and hunter green yarn (100% Cotton)





 It started out a simple chain of lime green links and then soft sage green was added to the line. Both of the lime green yarn and the sage green yarn, which almost looks green-yellow in the picture below, were made of 100% virgin wool. This yarn was a gift from a kind man at my first SCA event. I worked on it on and off for weeks, usually right before bedtime and sprawled across my pewter comforter. What was suppose to be a baby blanket got away from me however. 

I'm not sure what happened but somewhere along the way I stopped paying attention and let my fingers do the decision making. What I am making now is sized more to fit a full sized bed. I hope my sister will forgive me when I gift to her; what was meant for a 9 month old infant now could snuggle both him and his almost 6 year old brother. Maybe it was the universes way of telling me that Megan needed something to keep her warm in the face of the coming winter. Half of the year is over and I am turning my mind toward afghans, quilts and scarves. 

Not too shabby for being half way done.

 Winter might seem like a long way off but my mind lingers on him. I remember him when the cold air rolls off the mountain and the rain comes. I feel his touch linger like that of a lover and like a lover, I prepare myself for him.  With half the year already gone, I feel like must get a leg up on Winter. That means checking on the garden more, preserving food and spending a lot of time on the bed, crochet hook in hand.

For all of my readers here at home, Happy 4th of July. Today our country's independence will be celebrated with apple pie fresh from the oven, homemade ice cream. A special ice cream I created myself called "North meets South". It is a sweet cream ice cream of maple syrup and brown sugar. Just right for a golden apple pie. I raise my glass to that, to simple pleasures and the freedom of a nation of such startling beauty and fearsome power.





No comments:

Post a Comment