Translate

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Home Start

This week, I have started something new for my two year old daughter, soon to be three, Rose. Since Rose was born in mid to late August, she will not be old enough in time to begin the Head Start program this year. She will have to wait until next year and then she will be closer to four years old. So I have decided to start something I am calling "Home Start". I don't know much about homeschooling children but since Rose is two, we are working the basics. She already has colors and shapes down (though to tease you she will often tell you everything is "Pink!"). Now we are working on the alphabet, the numbers 1-10, and word association. A is for Apple, B is for Ball, C is for Cake etc.

In addition to reading preschool level books, I am also reading chapters nightly to Rose from "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. This is my favorite of the Little House series, though "Little House in the Big Woods" is still near and dear to my heart. Farmer Boy tells the story of nine year old Almanzo Wilder, growing up on his parent's horse farm in New York state. This hungry and energetic young boy will one day grow to become the husband of Laura Ingalls but in this story we find him the youngest of the Wilder family. Surrounded by his two sister, Eliza Jane and Alice, and his big brother Royal, Almanzo finds there is much work but no shortage of larks and lessons to be learned on the farm. For anyone who wants a view into what it means to run a large barn, this is a charming tale of a time long since past.

For Yule 2014, I was giving the Little House Cookbook, which outlines recipes for all the food mentioned in the books. It has instructions for glorious chicken pies, roasted goose and homemade ice cream and taffy candy. Things range in skill level from fried apples and onions to Laura's own wedding cake. As I am in love with the mid and late 1880s, this was the perfect gift for me. One of the recipes I am eager to try is the one for Vinegar Pie. This was a poor man's staple in the late 1880s and I intend to bring it into the foreground for Heroic Interactive Theater's World of Hashonen: Badlands Live Action Role Playing Game that will be starting in August 2015. Just around the corner.

One thing I have fallen in love with since I quit my full time job is all the time I get to spend with Rose. I get to be present for her every new word, every advancement and achievement. Every night I sing "Down to the River to Pray" and "Baby Mine"; each note fills my heart with boundless light. For now Rose and I head outside to check on the garden. It makes me proud that I am raising my daughter to love the earth and care for the plants which give us food. I hope she learns to love the act of farming as much as I have but if the day comes she wishes to fly from agriculture and pursue a city life, I will kiss her cheek and wish her luck. She will always know she can come home to the squash and the mint, to heart, hearth and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment