Translate

Friday, July 17, 2015

No Buzz

Sad news for the Heart of Home. Due to this years long freezing period, heavy rains and the chemical spill accident in Maryville this past month, there will be no honey bees this year for my family. This is a heavy blow to both Colin and myself, who were looking so forward to producing our own honey and beeswax. Many fine times have come to the Heart of Home but this circumstance reminds me that joy is always tempered by loss.

And indeed, this is a hurtful loss to the Clan.

It's not all gorgeous pictures, as Jenna Woginrich so aptly put. To homestead is to know joy and pain, those two timeless dance partners.

I heave a heavy sigh and turn my mind back to what I can do. I cannot conjure ideal conditions for honey bees but I can keep guard of my garden, clean the house and make sure the larder is full. Every little bit helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment