Translate

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Between the Buff, the Black, and the promise of honey.

Chickens...

We are talking about chickens here, particularly Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. Murray-McMurray Hatchery sent me a color catalog that was not content to be informative but also had to be beautiful. To turn the chicken into a beast of amazing loveliness and endless usefulness. Chickens who would grow to be wonderful mothers and amazing layers, chickens who would grow to be lovely Sunday suppers, pest controllers and beloved livestock. I sit at the kitchen table, nursing a Jack-O Shandy and looking over at Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. Bought for $10.00, it is an invaluable addition to our How-To library. I love Storey Guides; I purchased the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks two years ago and instantly appreciated the clean lay out and informative chapters that have added so much desire to a life of homesteading. Some days ago I entered a few contests, one to win a chicken coup and the other to win actual chickens. Just ten, to the great relief of my Clan. All who exhibited expression of concern ranging from worried to panicked at the idea I might just win anywhere from five to fifty chickens. That and not necessarily the chicken coup in which to house them.


The Wisdom of the Radish by Lynda Browning brought my mind to the problems, joys, bounty and blunders that can occur when one falls in love iwth the idea of having in the flesh, pecking seed chickens. She is the author who made me want....no...NEED a hatchery catalog.




The Murray-McMurray catalog was not the only such printing I received but I also ordered a Betterbee catalog. The promise of honey is on the mind of all Clansmen; it is likely we will have bees soon on this little acre I call my farm. It isn't what it should be, maybe it never will be, but someday it will be a lot closer than it is not. The bees are a good step in that direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment