Translate

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Coming Home

I mentioned my blog at work today, after which I wondered if anyone thought I was serious. I get that a lot, whenever I start talking about the D.I.Y raccoon skin cap tutorial in my newest issue of American Frontiersmen or the ethereal pleasure that is locally sourced sweet corn. Also when I talk about the difference in the lung structure of elk and white tail deer but less so when I talk about home made ice cream or bring organic peaches with a two day soak of Benchmark Brown Sugar on them. In a jar, of course, with an attractive block of rustic paisley on the lip. Secured with a matching rubber band because I was running late and couldn't find a red ribbon. Sorry about that, Angie.

That said, I'm proud of this little corner of web I have staked my claim to. Would that it was land. I suspect that, outside the Clan, not a lot of people understand what it is I mean when I say I am looking for my homestead. It more than just saving the money to find and afford a suitable property with house, acreage and barn. Though those things certainly have a part to play, it is also finding that place that the moment I walk onto the land I feel home. Were I can raise my animals and children in green grass and towering trees; where there is a pile of oak and hickory walking staves by the door, leaning against a rack full of crochet hats, scarves and mittens. Its a place where I hear my horse nicker to me for a treat, where my Clan is close, fed and safe. Something I have here in my current home but worked in truth by my own hand and sweat of brow; a drop of blood in the very making of it.

"Its a four letter word, a place you go to heal your hurts.
Its an alter, its a shelter, a place you're always welcome."  -Excerpt from "Coming Home" Gweneth Paltrow, Country Strong

Its a haven and its a heaven, made manifest by our mortal hands on earth. I'll know it when I see it, the way the heart knows love and the loins know wanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment