Translate

Friday, September 26, 2014

Strait to the Heart

He was born May 18th 1952 and was celebrating his thirty second birthday the day I was born. I first heard George Strait's "Amarillo by Morning" when I was five years old; he was my Grandmother Leavoda's favorite artist and we grew up with that song. "Ocean Front Property" and "Fool Hearted Memory" were and still are dear favorites of mine. Fun fact, not only was I born on his birthday but so were my twin sisters. They graced this earth on May 18th 1988. I bring him up because George Strait's music is what helps me keep hope alive that I will find my homestead. Sometimes, its hard to believe I will ever have my farm. That I may free myself from the grind of commercial cleaning and turn my efforts back to home and hearth, all that I want. Necessity has dictated that I work full time, outside the home, to provide the needed money to continue to pay for energy, water, house, food and medicine.

I bend my shoulders to the yoke of work, for I have miles to go and miles on my heart.

Those words of my own crafting are my mantra, my humble prayer to the Gods all around us. I know I must sweat and hurt for my dream, that my dream will cause me to sweat and hurt more but in more comforting setting. Volunteering for six months at Horse Haven here in Knoxville helped shaped my suburban body to the frame of barn work. Hauling hay and shoveling manure, well that takes stubborn will and a strong body. It takes a spirit of one who wishes to give, especially if you aren't getting any money to get up in freezing temperatures to make sure the horses get turned out. Having to work full time has left me no time for volunteering at that great rescue but I remember it well and miss it terribly.

Tomorrow is a rare treat. We travel down for Fall Frolic and get a chance to see one of our most beloved artists, S.J Tucker. In preparation, I have been listening to two of her albums which I count among my favorites. "Mischief" and "Wonders". That music leaves me feeling romantic, so after dinner I light a fall smelling candle and pop P.S I Love You into the Xbox.

Romance...to me it lies in well made beds adored with hand crocheted afghans. Hand sanded staffs by the front door, puff-stitch poncho shawls and scarves hanging from pegs. Our own stock in the meadow, Kiko goats bleating in the cool, evening air.  Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons scratching in the yard, picking out tasty bugs and wild seeds. Hummingbird vine burning bright scarlet in the morning dawn, like cherry colored stars. Have you ever seen the beauty that is a Hummingbird Vine? Sometimes called a star glory by the locals, they are drop dead gorgeous flowers.



I love morning glories of all varieties and I have been blessed with a green thumb. Purple is one of my favorite colors, so I was overjoyed when I first moved to Tennessee and saw that some kind soul had planted both Hummingbird Vine and Morning Glories in the front yard.


One day, dawn will rise like it did that morning in Oak Ridge, when I looked out upon East Fork Valley and felt the restless stirring that is desire surround me. I was going to have a beautiful, pastoral life one day and the Volunteer State would be the one to give it to me. "That's why I hang my hat in Tennessee." to quote Mr. Strait.



No comments:

Post a Comment