Translate

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Dreams of Bees and Better Days

It's dusk in the Tennessee Valley and I had the pleasure of coming home to our one, precious acre with a double rainbow painted across the storm stained sky. Under those gorgeous colors is our raised bed garden, waving green and fragrant in the summer air. From left to right stand Spearmint, Chocolate Mint, Basil, Savory, Thyme, Oregano, Purple Sage, Rosemary, and Lemon Balm. Carefully tended and organically grown, they perfume the warm air with a scent that makes me think of warm beds and homemade candles. 

'Ah, candles!' my mind whispers seductively and a grin for a moment like a happy idiot. Between the full time job cleaning houses, the full time job of being the blessed mother of a beautiful, two year old girl, and growing herbs, beans, canning, pickling and crochet.....well you would think I had enough projects. In my house, the talk of the Clan is bees, rabbits and even chickens. I have the nervous delight of knowing that last night, after a lovely night cap of apple cider and sweet whiskey, I entered into no less than twelve homestead related contests found through Mother Earth News. Every week when I get my cleaning check, I set aside no less than $20.00 dollars toward our homestead fund. This last week was full of overtime, so I make it $40.00 and I get online to tease myself with available properties in east Tennessee and west North Carolina. I and everyone in the Clan agree it is too early in the plan to look at properties but I cannot help myself. I scan through pictures and look at blue prints, square footage and fresh water proximity; my green eyes joyfully eat up the words like candy.

Out beyond that smokey horizon, there is a land full of eastern hawthorns and hickory, old oak and cold water running through it. There is a meadow ankle-high in sweet clover, my future hive, and good clean grass for the horse of my dreams. I know it because I must know it; a dream fire such as this must be fed with the wood of belief. I play some Heather Alexander, singing out loud to "Creature of the Wood" and think to the days ahead. I have a saying that is as dear as a prayer, which brings me most swift comfort.

"I bend my shoulders and head into the yoke of work, for I have miles to go and miles on my heart."

And so I begin my work and set my feet upon trail to find my homestead; a journey to the heart of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment