Translate

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Eve Rain

The rain comes down cold, chilling the air and soaking into the dark earth. One of the many reasons I love the Tennessee Valley is the cool, wet wind that come off the mountains. It kisses my skin like a lover, that moist air and makes me smile. I don't enjoy the crushing cold but cool wind and the sense of water on it fills me with joy. Tonight is Christmas Eve and my daughter watches A Muppet Christmas Carol on the TV. Pai is curled on the couch beside me, our she wolf in the skin of an Australian Shepard. Durellen, whose name means 'Dark Star', is curled on a chair and purring, content to spend his Christmas Eve inside for once. Colin is out
with Rhiannon, another driving lesson to sharpen her young skill. Kieran is downstairs, likely in the library and on her laptop. Angela is upstairs in her own room, likely packing for the trip to Texas. Seamus is at work, but only for another hour now become he comes home. The house is quiet but for the movie and my typing. My daughter's happy face does much to blunt the sharp edges of my pain; losing Anders still hurts. I still accept, the wheels still turn but I miss my little flame furred one.

As we descend into winter and I start the first day of my five day vacation, I breath a sigh. It is of equal parts relief and weariness. There is much done, some rest to be had and much else to do in the coming months. Rhi will be leaving for the Navy come Spring, the honey bees will be coming in at the same time. It will be time to put seed to plant and grow new things. It will be time to grow in new directions.

It makes me very quiet and thoughtful.

A very merry Christmas Eve to those who celebrate. Safe travels and good feasting to all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment