Translate

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Merry Yule; Bring the winter down

A bronze and pearl glass star. A cascade of rainbow lights, silver bows and ruby beads. Don't forget a opalescent unicorn with a wreath around his neck and a regal star with horns of moonstone, albeit the color and less the gem.  Throw it all a top of Frasier Fir and plug it in. Our prettiest clan tree yet, to celebrate both this very day of Yule and Christmas later on in this week. Traditionally, we would have a Yule log burning long into the night to bring fortune to our home. Today marks the first day of Winter marked by the Roman calender. For some of us clansmen the winter began at Samhain. This is a sweet moment, celebrated with much love and warmth. My day began early and in the gathering dawn I mentally ran down my lists of things to do. I rose, dressed and the first thing I do is go downstairs and vacuum. Picking up all those stray nettles, watering the tree and turning on the fireplace. I make sure the candles are lit and the room is already smelling good; pine and cider.

Then I run upstairs to get the ham ready. Into the big steel pan goes a shank ham, studded with cloves and drizzles in clover honey. Wine and whiskey get poured over the meat, a little sea salt and pepper. Add a little fresh basil, a generous handful of organic herb mix from our summer garden stores and a little more honey. I put the ham in at 260F for 4 hours; the tempting smell fills every corner of the house. Now I pull on my great house, emblazoned with my silver unicorn on the right shoulder, and drive to the store to get the last makings for my fancy hot chocolate. I make it every year around this time and at the end of this post, I will include the recipe for it. One by one, the clansmen and women slip out of there blankets. I throw sausage links on a hot, cast iron skillet and watch the smiles. Brown eyes, blue, hazel and green all sparkle with the pleasure of knowing breakfast is close at hand. The organic milk goes in the stockpot, the cream and the cocoa powder. Vanilla follows and then cinnamon. I add a generous tablespoon of honey to sweet the pot, literally! What I get is a seasonal favorite and everyone gathers close to have a cup.

Whether you celebrate Yule, Christmas or any other winter holiday, this is the time to let your family come close. Set aside the troubles and smile, dance, and give presents. Make good food and enjoy it with those you love. Remember that the winter is a hard time, a dying time and that these holy days are the time to create joy. Go forth and shine, though the cold wind blows.

Clan Hot Chocolate

6 cups of organic whole milk
2 cups of half and half
1/2 cup of hot cocoa mix (I use Kroger Brand)
3 TBSP of Hersey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
1 TBSP of clover Honey
1/2 TSP of cinnamon *Optional*
1 TSP of vanilla extract

Pour milk and half n half into stockpot and warm.
Then add cocoa mix, cocoa powder, and honey.
Stir well.
When warmed to a shimmer, take off heat and add cinnamon.
Stir continuously to avoid a skin forming on the milk mixture.
Pour and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment