Translate

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Riley

I got him, Mom. The Air elemental that keeps destroying the living room. I really did get him.

Riley Beau- July 22 2003 (estimated birth) - October 19th 2013

Picture me, if you will, twenty years old and fresh out on my own, $50.00 in my backpack and living two and half hours away from town I grew up in. Living with a boyfriend who went to school full time and worked part time, in a one bath and one bedroom apartment on the west side of Athens, Georgia. 

Its the summer of 2004 and I am so lonely. Its hard to make friends when you don't have car, cannot drive regardless of the first fact and what acquaintances you have made are limited to your boyfriend's friends which make up his various gaming groups. All of which have their 9-5s during the week. 

So very lonely, this twenty year old. 

So I decided to get a dog. My boyfriend was cool with it, so I hoped online to take a look at the local shelter. I found a dog I liked the sound of and went down to check her out. When I arrived, I was informed the dog had already been adopted and taken home. Discouraged, I turned to leave when a volunteer suggested I have a look around anyways. So I did, walking down the rows of pens looking with hopeful eyes. 

It was my ear, however, that lead me to my dog. 

The bay of a purebred Blue Tick Coon Hound is hard to ignore, especially from five feet away. I found him and he was nothing but skin and bones; someone had abandoned him in a locked trailer with only a toilet for water. I am happy to say that well fed he got up to a muscular and powerful 150lbs. He was a beautiful animal, a good friend, a hellish room mate at time but a devoted pet. I miss him every day and still have his dog tag.

I love you, Riley. 

Always. 

Here is to remembering woman's best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment