Translate

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Remembering October


Sitting by the campfire with friends, One Woman Farm in my hands. This picture was taken at the beginning of October this year, at a camp side shindig that was held in my good friends back yard to celebrate her 30th birthday. Snug inside my flannel shirt and embroidered jacket, I was well pleased after a night of drinking and warm music among friends.


Right now the temperature is dipping into the teens, my niece is making dinner and I am trying to push out this post before I cave and go take a shower. I am really enjoying Cold Antler Farm but I am far from the end. I really want to buy Barnheart soon; I'm am happily and unabashedly hooked on Jenna Woginrich's writing and admit readily she is my role model. Her words give me hope that is an attainable dream, that one may slip the film of urban living and truly merged into an authentic, sustainable life in agriculture. The hives getting here early this week have really filled me with tender hope that after the cold, harsh grip of winter this one acre of mine will have honeybees. That in summer there will be honey, candles and soap.

My husband asks me what I want for Christmas and my mind can't think of anything but "the homestead". We are a long way off from where we want to be. Patience is a virtue I need to cultivate as we work but Gods above and below how I want to be milking my goats and tending my bees. There is one other thing that comes to mind. My husband used to play the violin when he was younger and still has the one he used as a child. I think I will ask him to have it stringed so that I may learn to play the violin. I ache to play Carolan's Welcome for my family.


I leave you this cold, autumn night with a picture of another autumn, a dawning over stormy skies and black walnuts trees. This little shack used to be the safe haven of a family of feral cats that I would bring food and clean water. In turn this lovely creatures would keep the mice and rats near the creek at bay.

"With humble bargains struck, each end holding true to the other, we find grace and honor."
 

-A Heart of Home Proverb






No comments:

Post a Comment