Translate

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Adventures in Brewing

The Clan is seeing in action my education in brewing. After years of watching Colin bring bottle after bottle of homemade mead and wine to the gaming table, a little seed was planted in the fertile fields of my mind. Those roots reaches down and took hold in my heart. Once the Clan was living all under the same roof, I was presented for the chance to learn to brew. I wished to make a cyser but fate dictated my friend brew child to be a pyment. A pyment is a mead made from both grapes and apples as well as honey. I was pleased to see this past Sunday when we racked the pyment that my six gallon baby had experience a great yeast drop out. This bright gold elixir was the result. This was just a taste cup, a testing to see if the integrity of the fruit aroma had held.

Gods be praised, it did. Though still very young and with a mild yeasty flavor, the pyment smelled wonderfully grape and apple. It tasted like apples hiding under a blanket of grapes and loaves of fresh baked bread. To say I am pleased with the first priming does not cover the scope of how proud I am. This is my brew baby and she's coming along as good as gold.

So the pyment has been racked and now we go for a cool, long secondary. We added honey to the pyment to continue to feed it and soon I will add organic apple concentrate or another organic grape-apple juice. About mid April, we will bottle this pyment and lay it down in a dark, cool place until its ready for my birthday, which is May 18th.

31, here I come!

As a side note, I am proud to announce that is just 24 hours the Heart of Home blog has seen 50 more page views. I cannot tell you how excited when I see that people are reading the blog and how grateful I am that people give me their time to hear my story and view my humble life.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment