Translate

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday Storm Clouds, Sausage and Sweet Times

Storm clouds gather in the horizon as the wind picks up, balmy right now but likely to turn colder as
the hours progress. We take advantage of this mild moment in time to open the partition in the back door and let the temperate air wash over the kitchen and living room. I meant to sleep in this morning but I woke at the same hour I did Saturday when I had chores to do. That's the opulent hour of 8am EST. I know, not the 4am most homesteaders seem to rise and attend their dairy cows and goats. Truth be told, I am not sure when most homesteaders rise in the morning. I imagine it has a lot to do with their work load. Sunday morning finds me taking the trash out, wiping down the counters in the kitchen and cycling the dishes. I thaw some pork sausage patties and links out of the freezer and into the cast iron they go. All of both packages, for even with two of the Clan out of residence we still have six people to feed.
Kieran had a friend some school spend the night yesterday; the girls take up down in in our library and play video games into the wee hours of the morning. I put pork steaks to the cast iron last night for supper, finishing them in the oven with a maple glaze. Black eyed peas and dark red kidney beans went toward making a bean medley, potatoes were smashed with cream and butter. Apple pie was made and set to cool on the side board. I wish I had time to make a quick batch of vanilla ice cream but we drizzle heavy cream on the pie in its stead. All in all, it was a good weekend and here again we find ourselves at Sunday. Here again, once more in to the breach of a new work week. We work so that we may work, words I tell myself often. I work this job of cleaning rich people's houses so that I can someday build my own house. Even now, I am encouraged by Colin to search for the property and I smile to think of green meadows and winding creeks. I also thread my fingers through my night dark hair and sigh, wonder how I am going to make this all work. I put forth all my spoons toward working, writing, hoping, praying for the means to get to the Heart of Home. Heart Journey's end, I call it. For now I continue to work, write and remember to be thankful for the warm lemon tea in my favorite cup, the rich baritone of Stan Rogers in my ears and as I was writing, Colin and Ang returned from their weekend in Gatlinberg. Lemon tea makes me smile as I sip; we are so blessed to have clean water to make sweet lemon. So blessed to have elements in our house to keep it warm and to heart our food. I never forget I have a good life here because it is this part of my life which is laying the groundwork for the life I hope to build on my homestead.

No comments:

Post a Comment