Translate

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Thank You, Postmaster!

Last week the first issues for 2015 New Pioneer and Mother Earth News came to the house. My hours have been filled with pouring over articles and ads, except for the handful I took to leave the house and attend the beautiful wedding of a dear friend, held at a church that was 146 years old. Sitting in that grand, old place I could feel peace in the very wood of pews and looking through the windows wondered if there was a woman who came before me, dark of hair and cool of eye, who sat in that very pew and gazed longingly at the silver sky beyond. Did she ever watch a wedding there, did she smile as her husband held her small, pale hand and did those cool eyes flick down to take in the warm glow of her wedding band? Did she sit their with her mother and father, waiting for the day her sweetheart came back from the war? The church was built in 1869, so did she wait for a handsome and good man in a grey coat to come back through the door. Did any of my ancestors see this church on their way home from the Civil War, did any of their blood stain this southern soil?

Such thoughts come easily to my dreamer's mind. As do Buff Orpington chickens and heirloom seeds, Kiko goats and Katahdin sheep. One day these will be mine, as well as pigs and turkeys. One day, like Jenna Woginrich did, I will find a unicorn in the shadow of my dream horse. Or in the eyes of my mule.

Bad weather is on the way to the Tennessee Valley and it has already dipped to -2 F last night. Today we warmed our tummies with shrimp and grits. I hope all of you out there are keeping warm, have plenty of food and water on hand with shelter for you and your animals. Happy Sunday and stay safe!

Love,
A.N

No comments:

Post a Comment