Translate

Monday, December 28, 2015

Beyond Fear

If farming organic produce has taught me anything, it is that a farmer must force themselves to look beyond fear. Fear of pests, fear of weather, fear of failure-personal or crop related, and fear of the ever changing unknown. Fear is present in our lives, it has been a driving force to our species since we were living in caves and wearing fur wraps.

Acknowledgement is not the same as dominance.  I have learned that you cannot allow fear to dominate your actions if you intention is to derive a living from the earth. Nature is both gentle and harsh, both fruitful and full of decay. She strikes a balance and we must learned to lean into the wind of that balance, to face it in hard time as well as bountiful ones and above all, and know no fear. It is easier said than done but one thing I have always demanded of myself was to strive toward a greater self. So when the fear rises to gnaw at my heart, I push it back down with teeth bared. The strong make sacrifices, the weak make excuses.

I make my plans for the following year in the last few days of the previous one. 2016 will be my year of enterprise, where I set up to spring forth, capturing new opportunities for myself and my Clan. I am negotiating a large house cleaning, hoping to set up monthly service for a previous client, applying for a part time job with the local YMCA and hoping to go to a festival in April 2016 as a food vendor offering confections from Indigo Pastry. More money coming into the Clan means we get closer to being able to affording our homestead.

Every little bit helps. So hears to letting go of fear and embracing tomorrow, bright with possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment