Translate

Thursday, December 31, 2015

This year and the next

On this last day of 2015, I sit on my bed and contemplate the year flown by and the year showing on the horizon. I began January 2015 with tears in my eyes and a shaking voice in my throat. I was standing on the threshold of forgiveness and stepped through. Winter gave way to spring, which saw the ripening of my Japanese pumpkins and a flourish of mint, sage, basil and thyme and I ended a friendship that had become parasitic in nature. Summer came snapping on the heels of spring and a left the clutches of a poisonous work place environment, battled a fungal infection in my pumpkin crop and mourned the sudden death of my Clan sister, Angela.

Autumn saw me drop into depression and rise, like a struggling salmon, out of it's sucking murk. I redoubled my efforts to write (on my novel and on this blog), and began working as an independent contractor. All the yard work and house cleaning put money in my hand that was sorely needed after leaving the Maids, though I had the Clan's support in leaving that horrible place. I discovered more farm blogs and began reaching out to other farm writers; I pruned the unworthy and cast them back into the realms of fiction. Winter has just begun and with the year soon at it's end, my mind turns to 2016.

If my plans work out, I should be cleaning houses regularly in addition to working for the YMCA providing after school child watch. If April's Beltaine festival has a big turn out, my vending there might encourage me to go to other Gatherings and provide confections. I am also going to take my clay and fashion horns for Beltaine. With luck, I will be able to sell the four or five sets I will make. I might also take some jewelry down there in hopes someone will buy it. I know I say it often, Lady bless me.

But truth is, every little bit helps.

Tomorrow, I am holding out New Year's Day feast. Seeing as both halves of the Clan took to different parts of Georgia to spend Christmas with the families of their birth, me with my parents and Colin with his own folks, we are celebrating a late Yule as a Clan tomorrow. Here is what is on my menu for tomorrow...

*Oven Roasted Turkey
*Mashed Potatoes
*Gravy
*Cornbread Dressing
*Hearth Bread
*Honey Butter
*Sauteed Peas
*Buttered Corn
*Cranberry Sauce

*Brown Sugar Cranberry Cookies
*Sweet Tea
My mouth waters just to think about it and I had a good breakfast this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment