Translate

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Harvest and celebration

Last night, Colin and I went out to Turning Point Farm and purchased two, white Californian buck rabbits. These gentle boys were easy to handle and home slaughter went as expected: quickly and with care.  With sharp knives Rhi and I, with Colin on standby for consultation, steady skinned our bucks. I laid the skins fur skin down and liberally salted them with pickling salt, rolled them flesh to flesh to keep the salt off the fur and set them in a container in the fridge. These two "green hides" will keep for 3-5 months with proper salting and a cool climate. It is likely tomorrow I will pin them to a wooden board and start the fleshing process, then set them to soak in borax. Tanning has been a favorite hobby of mine since 2011, the year when I had bought a meat goat for home slaughter. It was the first time ever I had killed an animal and it was one of the most moving actions I had ever experienced. To thank a creature for his or her sacrifice, to hold them gentle as you take time to skillfully deliver their death so they can feed your family is as powerful a thing to feel as losing one's virginity. It alerts you and the way you view the world you know. You have the knowledge of the act within you and it brands you.

This was my first time with rabbit but I have home slaughtered one goat and one sheep before. As with my tanning, it is vital that I keep my knives sharp, oiled and my skills smart. The final thrust should always been given with skill, speed, grace and mercy.

With the hides salted, we turned to removing the organs. These are rinsed and saved for our dog and cat, both who get a steady diet of fresh meat in addition to a lamb/salmon first ingredient pet food. It is important to all the Clan that our animals eat well. The humans always have and so we extend the same consideration to our pets.

With rabbits cleaned, salted and tucked away to age a while in the fridge, I took to my bed. I was exhausted by the sheer emotion of the night. That said, it was a good night and well done at that. The white rabbit furs will go to my three year old daughter when they are ready, to be stitched together by me to make a wrap she can wear against the cold wind. Air turned chilly again for the first time in five days and I finally saw the sun, though it's warmth did little to penetrate the mostly gray sky.

This afternoon, I went with my daughter and nieces to Soma in Knoxville. Colin was kind enough to purchase a new bra for me and I am very grateful for the support, in my heart and on my back. It is not often that I purchase something for full price that has never been worn before; most of my clothing comes from Karm thrift store here in Maryville. It is nice to have such a beautiful garment; satin gray with a bow and rhinestone charm in the center. I was able to find out my current size, which is a relief. I had not been sized for a proper bra since I was pregnant with Briar Rose. Now I can donate all the gently used bras that did not fit my well to Karm. I am very pleased with the gift.

I have joined the Clan for supper over the course of this post. Rhiannon's 19th birthday was today and we held a small feast for her. I made a lovely cheesecake with fresh lemon curd for topping. Everything came out perfectly. With a full belly and a contented heart, my body longs for sleep.

May all of you be having a beautiful night.

Thank you for reading. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment