Translate

Friday, December 11, 2015

Salt and Flesh

Woke up this morning and came downstairs to start on chores rather quickly because the majority of the Clan will be going to Al'se'war this weekend. So I put up the clean dishes, served out some of the ham I baked last night for a quick breakfast and load up the dishwasher for another go. I know I comment about doing the dishes often but it is one of the first chores of my everyday routine. With six people in the Clanhold, dishes are constantly being cleaned.

After the dishwasher is running, I clean a space on the counter and pull of my "greened" hides. Greening refers to coating the flesh sides of your furs or hides with pickling salt for storage. I check for any off off smells and find nothing amiss. I add a little more salt around the edges of the flesh side and fold them back flesh to flesh.

Next week I will be washing off the salt and using a skinning knife, fleshing the hide. Then it is into the bucket with a generous pouring of 20 Mule Team Borax.

I have decided against pictures because while I have no problems with blood, flesh and skin some of my readers may. It is out of respect for them I will include no pictures of any home processed live stock, skinning or greening of hides on this blog. Once the furs come out of the soaking stage, I will be happy to post pictures of the ongoing project.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Have fun, keep safe and enjoy yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment