Translate

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Georgia Born; Georgia Bound

" Well, I was raised underneath the shade of a
Georgia pine and that's home, ya know.
Sweet tea, pecan pie and homemade wine
Where the peaches grow. 


And my home is not much to talk about
but it's filled with love that's grown in southern ground."

-Zac Brown Band "Chicken Fried"

Tomorrow morning a round up a portion of the Clan to head down to Georgia. I'm headed back to Powder Springs, the place where I grew up. From seven to nineteen years old, I galloped about West Cobb county with the neighborhood kids, just a feral pack of adolescents pretending our mountain bikes were barrel ponies and splashing in what we called "Cougar Creek" to escape the summer heat. Though I fell in love with Tennessee at the age of seventeen with my first trip to Harrison Bay State Park, Georgia has always been and will always be, on my mind.

As well as in my heart.

I am spending three entire days with my parents in their new home and I am very excited. In fact, I am elated. I have missed my mother and father so much. My mother has been my friend, advocate and defender since I was a babe in her arms. My father and I have developed a rich closeness in my adult life that, even as I sit here and write, chokes me with tears. Their esteem and love has made me one of the happiest woman in the world. If you are reading this, Momma. If you are reading this, Daddy. I love you more with each breath. I will also have the pleasure of seeing my little sister, the twins Kimberly and Megan.

And then, of course, there is a small cadre of adorable nephews and one beautiful niece I cannot wait to show with presents, sweets and kisses. Tomorrow, I intend to head out early. Before 6am if I am lucky. That will put me getting into Powder Springs around 8:30-9:00am EST if I I beat the traffic getting out of Knoxville and Chattanooga.

All I would ask for from my readers are your prayers for safe traveling mercies while I take a portion of my Clan southward, that we arrive hale and heartily.  A merry Winter Solstice to all and a Happy Yuletide at that. May it be full of warm and delight, with the love of family and friends all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment